Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Morocco. Maroc. Marruecos. Marroko. Al Mamlaka al Maghribi (in arabic).

I'm not here to speak to you about my country; countless authors, musicians, artists, philosophers have already done so before me, and in ways better than any I could articulate. No, I'm here to speak to you not of Morocco per se, but in the spirit of Morocco. My adventure is to comment on happenings in the world, Morocco, Philadelphia, UPenn, or my brain, so long as the comments are from what I consider to be a Moroccan perspective.

Naturally, I do not pretend to speak in the name of all Moroccans, nor do I pretend to be an accurate representative of what the average Abdou Rashid (the Moroccan John Doe) is. However, the first identity I give when asked who I am is "a Moroccan", and that in itself gives me a measure of legitimacy. Further, I have lived in my country for 18 odd years and have been exposed to the different cultures and social classes that compose this highly heterogeneous country. In any case, I love my country, and for reasons unexplicable I would do anything for it and its people. Therefore, I should never have to explain my words for I know they are marred of only the best intentions and the purest feelings.

I must also explain to you the reasons why I chose the title "Sahara Gazette". You see, a large part of my country is made of the Sahara Desert, one of the world's most humbling locations. It is in that spirit of humility that I wish to convey my thoughts and feelings. Also, the desert is inevitable in many ways, forcing you to discipline, restriction, reflection, wisdom, humility, and the questions of life and death. When surrounded by the mercilessness of its elements and its deafening silence, everything is understood differently, up until the immutable concepts of honour, love, or God (if there is such a thing). The Sahara is simplicity in its simplest form and beauty devoid of the unnecessary. It is with this spirit that I wish to tackle the subjects that pass my mind.

Anyways, enough said about nothing at all. Whatever happens, whatever you read, please know that I do not pretend to hold a truth, nor do I ever seek to insult, disrespect, or humiliate (except for a certain specific group we'll see later). This is an intellectual and emotional experience, for a Moroccan to speak to the world, and the world to hear a Moroccan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home